Child Cord Safety
Loose blind and curtain cords can kill.
Fix them out of reach so kids are out of danger.
Steps for protecting children
Take these four simple steps to ensure that blind and curtain cords/chains in your home are out of reach of children, particularly children under six.
Check your blind and curtain cords
- Do this anywhere you are staying, including on holiday.
- Check for loose or looped cords that your child can reach from the floor or by climbing on furniture.
- Immediately tie cords out of reach and move away any furniture children might climb on to reach them.
Secure loose cords out of reach
- Buy cleats or tensioning devices from a hardware store or curtain and blind shop.
- Use at least two screws to fix each cleat or tensioning device in a place that is out of reach of children.
- Never secure these devices with materials that fail when a load is placed on them, such as double-sided tape or glue.
You can cut the dangerous loop out of some cords/chains and attach a tassel to the end of each strand. Some blinds will not operate without the loop, so get specialist advice before doing this.
If you cannot fix your unsafe cords and chains out of reach, get a reliable trades person to do it for you. If you are renting your home, seek help from your landlord or agent.
Choose safe blinds and curtains
Only buy new curtains and blinds which:
- Have warning labels to remind you of dangers to children.
- Provide a way to secure cords/chains so there are no loops or strands that children can reach, or
- Operate without exposed cords/chains.
Keep children away from all cords/chains
- Move anything a young child can sit in, stand in, or climb on (like cots, highchairs, beds, sofas, tables, chairs and bookshelves) away from cords/chains - even those tied around a cleat, as your child may be able to untie them.
- Do not let your child play near cords/chains they can easily reach.
- Never leave your child alone in a room with cords/chains they can reach.
Victory Curtains & Blinds comply with child safety standards in the interest of safety in the home. It is now restricted in Australia to sell any products that do not comply with strict new safety regulations. All of Victory's products comply with these safety standards. Child Safety is a major priority in our business.